Saturday 1 October 2011

Book Project

Firstly, apologies for the gap between posts. No photos or images today, but some ideas I have for a book project. I have a couple of ideas and one in particular I would like to talk about here.

For the last few years, I have been contemplating putting together a book on fly fishing legends. The idea was to compile a list of some of the most influential living fly fishers in the world, and to photograph them. Writing down some notes after chatting with them would compliment the images and I would have the makings of a book.

It didn't take long to realise that this idea was too broad, but still I couldn't shake the idea of photographing such legends of the sport as Bernard "Lefty" Kreh, Charlie Smith, and a host of others. Thus the plan hatched to make a series of books.  At worst, a single book and a small collection of photographs which may be useful for publication elsewhere, but more importantly would be significant to me to have as a part of my personal work.  

Being from Australia means that the most practical thing to do is to work on an Aussie fly fishing legends book first. If the opportunities come, then I can always photograph international legends in between and keep these aside for other books later on if I build a large enough collection. I guess the most important thing to do now is to write a list of who I want to include and then find a way to contact them to see if they are interested in taking part. Not only will it be fly fishing personalities, but I want to also include some fly tiers tackle designers and authors who are important to Australian fly fishing.

I will be posting a full list here soon. Who knows, you may also be able to tell me who else is deserving of the "legend" status who I might have missed. Perhaps you even know someone who is on the list and can help me get in contact with them.

To get things started, here are a few people (in no particular order) I would like to include and will be trying to contact soon for the Aussie book:

Rod Harrison
Rob Sloane
Greg French
Rob Meade
Max Garth
Murray "Muz" Wilson

There are quite a few others to be added, but this is a start.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam
    Good luck with the project I will certainly help where I can
    Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dean

    Looking forward to getting this project off the ground, and will keep you informed of what is happening.

    ReplyDelete